Sunday, September 30, 2007

Allie's Big Day

Today was a big day for Allison. Allow me to brag like hell!

Today was the Primary program at church. The chorister for primary wanted to do something special for the song "I Know that my Redeemer Lives" with some of the kids. Allison, and another little girl, Addison, were tapped to start the song with a duet. I thought it was kinda silly, since it's little kids. Those little kid singers on talent shows always drove me nuts, because almost all little kids sound EXACTLY the same when they sing. Boys, girls, to me, they all sound the same. Well, first off, Allie was having a blast on the stand waving to Rachel, Grandma Davis and me. She was so proud of herself sitting in the front row. (On a side note, Zach and Daniel couldn't have been more irreverant, if you want to know more, email me.) Well, it comes time for the song, Allison is standing in front of the microphone with Addison. Rachel and I were very nervous that Allie was going to freeze up once she saw everyone in the audience. Well, she was great. She was loud enough, and sang better than Addison. Now, I'm sure that Addison's parents were a little annoyed at that, since Addison was originally supposed to do this as a solo to begin her musical career. I'm not sure when it happened, but Allison was brought into the picture later. I looked over at Rachel, and she's bawling. So cute to see Allison perform well, and then see my wife get emotional over it. And to answer your question: even after this, I still think all kids sound the same when they sing, so I'm not biased now just because of Allie.

So, after sacrament meeting, since Rachel is now on strict bed rest, we went home. Allison didn't have to be at the soccer field until 2 PM, and we were responsible to bring half-time snack and after game snack too. We threw all that together, got everyone lunch, watched a few minutes of the 1 PM football games, and then went to the fields. Rachel was feeling fine, but I told her she had to stay home. I asked Zachary if he wanted to go or if he wanted to stay home. Football was on, so Zach didn't answer me, but continued to watch football. I got annoyed, and sent him to his room for "quiet time" along with Daniel, in whom I was still annoyed at his antics during the Primary program (like I said, if you really wanna know, email me.) So, Allie, Grandma Davis, and I set out for the soccer field. Now, there are eight kids on her soccer team, 3 girls and 5 boys. Of the eight, there are varying degrees of talent. Two of the boys are really good, and the rest are just "okay". Allie is on the younger side of the team, and the less talented. Now, being a parent, I'm always encouraging her to do her best. Last week, she was running up and down the field, flapping her arms because she says it makes her run faster. All I can do is laugh when she's not looking, and tell her that flapping arms only works for birds. Well, today was no different. Allie was running up and down the field, usually behind the ball and the kids, and trying to kick it when it came to her. Most of the time she stays out of the way, and is just happy to have a uniform on, running up and down on the field, and getting a snack after all is said and done. First half over, and we brought grapes for the team (we were snack parents this week). Second half, Allie was on the sidelines, but was brought in as a sub pretty quickly. The mob of kids were in one corner, kicking the ball around, when suddenly it squirted out to where Allie was standing, and without even thinking, she kicks the ball and buries it in the back of the net. It was her first sniff of a goal, and the first girl on her team to score one, too. I was so amazed. I couldn't believe that she scored. Her coach, who has been AMAZING with her, got a huge grin on his face, gave her a high five, and looked right at me with a thumbs up. She was so excited, but kinda calm too. She almost acted like she does it all the time, as she walked back to her team's side of the field to prepare for a kickoff. I walked right onto the field, and gave her a high-five and a head tussle. I don't care, I'm proud of my daughter. Sue me. After the game, the coach goes to each of the kids, and gives them a little talk to tell them what a great job they did. He came to Allie, and said how great she did in scoring her goal. Allison, in pure Allison form said, "Thanks" and went back to her juicebox. He then said to me, "I saw the ball come out, and then Allie sized it up and kicked it. It wasn't an accident, she knew exactly what she wanted to do. I'm so happy for her." My reply, "My wife is going to be PISSED that she missed this."
Allie started out the season rough, she came over to us on a few occasions crying that she didn't know what to do, and she was scared of the kids and coaches. She's come a long way since then, with our encouragement, but also with Coach Vince and Coach Chris' attention. That's also why Coach Vince was so happy for Allie, since it's usually two other kids on the team who score ALL the goals, game in and game out.

GOOD JOB ALLIE !!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go Allie!! Was Rachel POed she missed that?!