Wednesday, August 1, 2007

"Attention, Lords and Ladies of the Ward !!"

On Friday, the first activity I wasn't in charge of in the last two years was pulled off. Rachel is still on the Activities committee, so I was well aware of the pending doom that she was predicting. Well, I am glad to say that she was wrong, and that I was jealous at how fun and successful the activity was. There was plenty of food, there were plenty of people who showed up, and there was plenty of fun to be had. They decided to do a Medieval theme, with the crowd separated into teams (colors) who sat together, and captained by Knights who would either compete in events or choose members from their team to compete in their stead. I was the White Knight, as Rachel volunteered my services. Dustin said that he was trying to give me a break from participating, but Rachel knows that I was perfect to pull off the cheesy loudness required for such the job. I wore my white Skins jersey, white turtleneck, motorcycle gloves with the gauntlets, and my fake throwback Skins helmet.


Now, when I was still the activities chair, my committee had started to tentatively plan this shindig. I had already selected Ed Ott as the King, as he had acting experience (in L.A. even) and would do a good job being over the top. We planned the menu to be finger or hand foods, and no silverware. The only thing we didn't start to plan were the activities. I wanted to do a scripted event, where the outcome was predetermined, and that way we could have a villian and a hero already thought out and all we would have to do was practice and then roleplay. Well, that never happened. They planned six events: tug-o-war, wife drag, skateboard joust, wench pillow fight, piggyback horsey ride, and the Gauntlet. The Knights only competed in the tug-o-war, and chose contestants for the other events. Apparently, the Black Knight was supposed to cheat in the events by messing with the other competitors. Unfortunately, the Black Knight was an attorney who spent half the night on his cell phone, and didn't play up the part like it needed to be done. Rachel told me after the night was over, that her and Melia thought I should've been the Black Knight, as I would have done a great job in screwing over the other competitors. Regardless of my color, I still took glee in being the villian for a few events. In the horsey race, I stepped right into one of the people who was racing and prevented him from winning. It was awesome. The guy never knew what hit him, just bounced off me. Everyone was BOOING and shouting that I was cheating - - - but Ed, in his dubious King voice proclaimed "I saw Nothing" when the Green Knight protested. The next racer I took it easy on, and gave a chance to avoid me tying my shoes in the line of racing. That was funny, but that guy's kid came up to me after the race, telling me to stay off the course so his Daddy could win. Nevermind the fact that this guy was racing a teenage girl .... I told the kid to nevermind what I did and to never speak to me like that again. (On a side note, I despise this child and his brother. They are both Zachary's friends at church and Cub Scouts, so I am well aware of their horrid behavior before this episode.) In the Gauntlet, one of the tasks was to arm wrestle each of the Knights. I licked the hands of the kids who weren't racing for my team, and generally was a menace. Like I said, incredible night. I was also the unofficial Town Crier, as my voice was the loudest, until sissy boy Dustin got a microphone.


I had people coming up to me, telling me what a great job we had done. I told them all I was jealous, because I didn't pull this one off. I guess I was kinda hoping for a stinker of an activity, so that I would be validated as having pulled off the best get togethers. In any case, everyone had a blast and was sent home with a warm belly. Our only unfortunate event occured later in the night, when Ed noticed that his iPod was missing. I bought a cable to hook my iPod to the system in the Cultural Hall for the Sweethearts Dance to play music. Ed wanted to borrow my cable to play his celtic music while we were eating and socializing. Well, some choice individual decided they wanted the iPod more than their decency and absconded with it. They took the charger and the iPod, but left my cable attached. We have suspicions on who took it, but unless decency takes over, it's gone for good. Such a crap thing to happen to such good people. Things like that have affected people's views on the Church, and have caused many a person to go inactive. Just frosts me ..... a few more pics, and this post will be done.





1 comment:

FairfaxBuddha said...

Wow, Liz looks great in that picture of the 2 of them as King & Queen. Looks like it was a very successful and fun ward activity. I'll have to tuck that idea away for later. Anyway, I can't wait to see Liz again. Thanks for having such great friends!