Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I don't get it, Maw

I'm sitting in front of the computer tonight, kinda watching what is on TV right now. It's NASCAR Primetime, some sort of "behind the scenes" summer show filler. So, a commercial comes on, for the umpteenth time tonight, for the DVD release of "Blades of Glory". Now, I love movies. Besides video games, movies are probably my second great hobby. I love going to the theater to watch, I love the home delivery that Blockbuster has now, and I love getting movies for gifts on birthdays, Christmas, Anniversary, or just because. I love all kinds of movies, with the notable exception of the British period pieces (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion,etc) that just annoy me. I must have missed the boat entirely on Will Ferrell, though. I just don't find hardly anything he does funny, as a lead actor. I loved him in Old School, I will admit that, but he wasn't really a lead in that movie. "Elf" - BAD "Anchorman" - Atrocious "Talledega Nights" - hokey and stupid "Zoolander" - weird. One of the newer movies he's tolerable in is "Stranger than Fiction", mostly because he isn't trying to be funny or cheesy. I didn't like him on "Saturday Night Live", either, to be fair. The cheerleader sketch was overplayed, although one of the most well known of his many less than funny parts. I just know that whenever he's in a movie, to avoid wasting money seeing it in the theater, or buying it from the store. I just don't get why people think he's so funny.

Granted, I think a lot of what is considered "potty humor" is funny. I just laugh when someone gets covered in poo in a movie from an exploding port-a-potty. I also love "America's Funniest Videos" because people get hurt on there all the time. I told Rachel a long time ago, that I hate when people fall down in front of me, because my first reaction is never "OMG - are you okay?" it's almost always "BwaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" and then I come to try and pick you up and see if you're okay. Doesn't matter if you're 16 or 60, people falling down is funny to me. We went to Hershey this weekend, and I was standing in line for the virtual tour of the chocolate factory. Rachel took Allison to the bathroom while I stood in line, and held Ryleigh. While in line, I look down to my left and see a woman on the ground who slipped on what looked like a shake of some sort. I had to stifle myself, because I just kept imagining her face while biffing it onto the ground. That in turn made me want to laugh, but I didn't want to appear to be more of a douche than I already do. So, I just kept eyes front and centered and cleared my mind. Just a little insight into my mind. Sick, aren't I ?

3 comments:

James C. said...

You're a mean, mean, mean, mean man! I would have laughed to though...

James C. said...

by the way...do you ever read my blog?

penshome.blogspot.com

FairfaxBuddha said...

Will Ferrell is AWESOME! You definitely missed the boat. Rachel can back me up here. "Thanks Mr. Norwal!"