Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ahhh .... Vacation, Part 2

Well, everything worked out the way we needed it to when we were at home, so Rachel and I packed up the kids and made our way to Detroit to visit with Ben and his family. We left our house at 7 AM and headed out. We looked at both ways we could have gone, either I-76 or I-80, and from a time perspective it was about a 20 minute difference in favor of I-76. To be fair, it also was going to cost us $16 in tolls to take 76 out. So, it was worth us saving that money to take I-80. It ended up working out, just seemed like a long drive. By the time Rachel and I reached the Ohio border, Punchey the Clown showed up and decided to drive the rest of the way to Ben and Sarah's house. Everything was making us laugh, from the Mennonites who couldn't figure out how to put more than $20 in gas at a time into their mini-van, to the almost 7 foot tall guy riding on a motorcycle that was wayyy tooooo smallll for his tall frame. I seriously wanted to ask Punchey if he was part of the same circus as that guy.

We finally got within a half-hour of their house when traffic started. Whoever is in charge of the roads in Michigan needs to have the crap kicked out of them, like now. I'm asking for a volunteer in this, since the negligence in detour signs came within about 50-feet of landing us in Canada! Yep, I-75 just south of the city was CLOSED - - - completely. HUH???!!!?!?? I've never heard of an entire Highway being closed down completely. Thank goodness we received a GPS for a present, so we just made the last left turn short of the toll booths to Canada, and then let that little thing work it's magic to get us to Ben and Sarah's house. Now, get this - the exit to Ben and Sarah's off I-75 is exit 69. Now, that's funny enough - except that the road that exit 69 drops you off of is Big Beaver Road. I am not making this up. Exit 69 - Big Beaver Road. Rachel and I and Punchey LOST it. I mean headache, tears and everything from the laughter. Well, we turned off the exit and the car in front of us was from Missouri. The Show Me State. Yep, Show Me your Big Beaver on 69 crossed my mind immediately. Funny, funny, funny stuff.

We look forward to spending about a week with Ben and Sarah in Michigan, and getting to know them and their family together much better. Off exit 69 - Big Beaver Road. Bwahahahaha

Love to all.