Thursday, July 31, 2008

Daytime Talk Shows

Jerry Springer.

Those two words tend to provoke a reaction when it's brought up in a conversation, for good or for ill. It used to be funny when a fight would break out every once in a while, and it was good TV. When the show first started, or when I first started watching it, they actually had topics that mattered. Once the producers of the show realized how much money they could make from advertising, and how the ratings shot up when a fight broke out, the die was cast. Now, every show has to do with people having sex with other people, with different contributing factors, i.e. My cousin's father is my father too, and I'm having his baby, or I'm sleeping with my grandpa, or My dog is looking REALLY good right now - show topics like that. It's so fake at this point, I'm surprised that Vince McMahon or Stone Cold isn't the host. The staged fights, the girls "accidentally" tearing off a breakaway shirt to expose a bra, the audience members flashing their parts for Mardi Gras beads, and the general quality of guests. Springer is just such a joke, yet I'm watching it now as I post this. *Sigh*

No comments: